Heart Healthy Vegetarian Paella
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 can roasted crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Saffron- 1 small bottle
- Salt- kosher
- Black pepper- coarse
- Garlic- 5 cloves
- Corn-1 cup frozen defrosted
- Peas- 1 cup frozen defrosted
- Parsley- Italian bunch
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot Madras curry
- Extra virgin olive oil- ½ to 1 cup to cover skillet
- Cauliflower head (cut into small florets)
- 2 Red, yellow and green peppers (cut into wedges)
- 2 Spanish onions- large (cut into wedges)
- Zucchini strips
- 1 Spanish onion- small
You will need a 2 quart curved edge skillet with a cover.
- In a large pot add vegetable stock and whole small bottle of saffron –simmer until ready to add to the rice.
- In large hot skillet, add olive oil and when it’s hot, add minced onions until lightly brown; then add garlic.
- Add rice to skillet and toast.
- Add saffron broth, corn, and peas, stir and let simmer, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and cover- don’t touch for 18 minutes.
- In small sauce pan, heat roasted crushed tomatoes, strain off sauce, and save the tomato strips.
- In a large roaster pan, place cauliflower, peppers and onions. Drizzle completely with olive oil and generously cover with Madras curry and coarse black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon kosher salt spread over all the vegetables place in broiler under high and toss occasionally. The vegetables need to be watched and when slightly black, they are done.
Place all the vegetables symmetrically around the edge of the pan and garnish with parsley.