Honors & Distinctions
St. Francis Hospital, The Heart Center® is New York State’s only specialty designated cardiac center, offering one of the leading cardiac care programs in the nation. A member of Catholic Health Services of Long Island, the Hospital is recognized as an innovator in the delivery of specialized cardiovascular services in an environment where excellence and compassion are emphasized.
St. Francis also offers an outstanding program in non-cardiac surgery, including some of the most advanced technology and minimally invasive techniques available for vascular, prostate, ear-nose-throat (ENT), abdominal, oncologic, and orthopedic surgery. These are some of the distinctions and accolades earned by the Hospital:
- In the past 10 years, over 112,000 cardiac catheterizations, 32,000 angioplasties, and 14,000 open-heart surgeries have been performed at St. Francis Hospital.
- St. Francis has one of the largest cardiac surgical volumes in New York State. Its program has been recognized for its outstanding success rates more times than any other hospital in the New York metropolitan area. (NYSDOH)
- St. Francis physicians performed the largest volume of percutaneous coronary interventions (angioplasties with stents) on Long Island. (NYSDOH, 2015)
- In 2016, The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital treated close to 1,800 cancer patients.
- St. Francis performs one of the highest volumes of orthopedic procedures on Long Island, totaling more than 3,000 cases in 2016, including 1,335 joint replacements.
- For the 10th consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report has recognized St. Francis as one of the best hospitals in America, ranking St. Francis among the top hospitals nationwide for Cardiology & Heart Surgery, Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, and Geriatrics. (2016-17)
- U.S. News also ranked St. Francis the top hospital on Long Island and 4th in New York State. (2016-17)
- St. Francis was also recognized by U.S. News as high performing regionally in three specialties: Neurology & Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, and Pulmonology. (2016-17)
- St. Francis was the only hospital on Long Island to get an “A” in Safety by the Leapfrog Group. Our Hospital has earned an “A” nine out of 10 times since the safety score’s debut. (November 2016)
- Recognized by U.S. News as high performing in eight common adult procedures and conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, COPD, hip replacement, and lung cancer surgery – the most for any hospital on Long Island. (2016-17)
- St. Francis is the only hospital in Nassau County to hold Magnet designation for excellence in nursing care three times. (April 2015)
- St. Francis scores highest on Long Island in federal patient satisfaction survey. (January 2017 - Medicare.gov)
- St. Francis has repeatedly earned the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines Gold awards for Stroke and Heart Failure. (2016)
- The NYS Department of Health recognized St. Francis as a Top Performer in three measures aimed at preventing strokes in patients.
- Four St. Francis Hospital medical-surgical units hold the PRISM Award for Nursing Excellence.
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) has given its Beacon Award for Excellence to five nursing units at St. Francis Hospital.
- The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons granted Full Accreditation with Commendation to the Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital. (2016)
- For the tenth time, St. Francis Hospital has received an ‘A’ in a national safety score that rates hospitals on the quality of their care. The letter-based rating system was devised by the Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that ranks hospitals nationwide. St. Francis was one of only three hospitals in the NY Metro area to receive an “A” and has earned this highest distinction in ten out of 11 times since the safety score’s debut in 2012.
- St. Francis Hospital is a leader in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and was one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to implant the Medtronic CoreValve.
- The Hospital was the first on Long Island to use the Diamondback 360 orbital atherectomy, an advanced technique for opening severely calcified coronary arteries, and the first on Long Island to implant the St. Jude Nanostim leadless pacemaker.
- It was also the first hospital on Long Island to use the OPTISi system to visualize arterial blockages.
- St. Francis is a recognized national leader in cardiac non-invasive imaging, including cardiac CT scanning, cardiac PET-CT scanning, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (cardiac MRI), nuclear imaging, and three-dimensional echocardiography.
- St. Francis is a premier center for national clinical trials. These include: Medtronic LOW RISK TAVR Trial, Early Feasibility Study of the CardiAQ™ Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation (TMVI) System, The REFLECT Trial: evaluation of TriGuard™ HDH Embolic Protection for
TAVR, and UNLOAD TAVR TRIAL; Heart Failure trials: DEFINE-HF, EMBRACE-HF Trial, PIONEER, GALACTIC, Barostim neo®- Baroreflex Activation Therapy, COAPT-Mitraclip® Trial; NIH sponsored CREST 2 Trial for carotid artery stenosis; Interventional Cardiology trials: ECLIPSE.
Last updated, April 2017
St. Francis Hospital has earned the coveted Magnet award for excellence in nursing
St. Francis is the top ranked hospital on Long Island for heart care